So finally, I bit the bullet. I have been thinking of migrating my blog to Jekyll for almost 2 years now, never had a true reason. Well now I do, I am free and bored of the themes that Wordpress offers for free. I have been a long time fan of Wordpress, which I believe is still awesome, but I needed more control on how my blog looks and so I moved.
Migrating itself was not super hard. There is sufficient help available online, but a quick summary:
- Get started with [https://help.github.com/articles/using-jekyll-with-pages/]
Skip the hello world goodie, create a site instead
bundle exec jekyll new bundle exec jekyll build bundle exec jekyll serve
- Migrate your blogs using ExitWp
- Migrate comments using Disqus. Read this blog. Use the domain migration tool on Disqus to change the links in the imported comments and get the links right. I basically just did a find and replace in Wordpress exported XML.
- Modify the SCSS to make your blog look the way you want.
- Attach Google Analytics to your pages if you like stats.
- Get yourself a coffee :-)
There are three additional benefits of this:
- The best thing about a Jekyll backed blog is that there is no database involved. It is static content and is super fast in rendering!
- It is hosted for free on github.
- And you get to write your blogs in markdown!